Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Deferred 15... No, 30... Make it 60... Ish.

Here's a story of a job that I actually completed. The wackiness is still about, however.

This was another random resume send, and I didn't hear back. One Tuesday night, I get a call at 10:30 at night. This seems like a popular time for DC clients to make business calls.

Ugh, this shit's wearin' off... Oh man, I gotta call that guy...

The caller tells me he got my resume a few weeks ago and he wants me for a job in the morning, it was urgent. I was a bit baffled. Weeks to fill a position and he calls me the night before, after most people are asleep or winding down. Or, in his case, doing PCP. Anyway, I ask when the job takes place and where. He tells me it's in DC, at 10am. I sigh. For anyone who drives into DC in the morning, you know why. I ask how much it pays, and it's actually a decent amount, which was the first pleasant surprise of the conversation. Screw it. I'm in.

He emails me a contract, which is basic enough, the sort of thing you Google and find for free, and that would probably hold up in court about as well as a napkin with a drunk girl's phone number would hold up as "intend to commit sexual conduct."

I swear, your honor, she handed me that napkin and I feared for my safety... Have her cut me a check for mental duress.

I drive to the location, a hotel smack dab in the middle of DC. The contact number I am told to call is not for the man I spoke to the night before, but the other freelance video guys working the gig, who have just about as much stake in whether this things works or not as I do. I, of course, don't know that until after I started calling them. Walking to the hotel, I meet a very confused sound recorder on his way to the same shoot. Apparently he had just about as much info on the job as I did.

The job itself was actually very easy. Set up some equipment, shoot some very small interviews, eat really awesome hotel desserts. Score.

I mail back the flimsy contract along with an invoice and my receipt for parking. I don't hear back from the guy for 2 weeks. He was apparently "on a shoot."

Another 2 weeks, a month to the day after the work was done, I inquire about payment. I had yet to see a paycheck.

"I guess the invitation just got... lost in the mail..."

His response.

"Hey Charles -

I am still awaiting payment from the client.  I apologize for the delay, but expect payment this week or the next.  As soon as I receive payment, I will turn around a check for you the same day.

Thanks for your patience.


I waited another two weeks and sent another email asking how things were going.
"Hey Charles -

I just spoke to them today and they said checks are going out on 5/3, so I should have a check no later than 5/10 and will turn around the same day.  Sorry for the delay.  They did not tell me it was net 60 from the outset, and just sprung that on me today.  I apologize for any inconvenience.

This was just about three weeks ago. This marks two months.

Just out of curiosity, where do these people come from?

Where dinosaurs roam, humans rule and ride, and you can send a paycheck for work completed when ever the hell you feel like it.

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog. Just linked it to mine. I feel your pain, man.